DC-OM Helped One Customer Reduce the Number of Gearbox Replacements by 50%

Moving from Unplanned to Planned Replacements

The average industry fleet failure rate is about 6%, which equates to high operations & maintenance costs. Operators today utilize short-term prognostics to detect failed assets in the fleet. Those systems catch roughly 80% of failures, leaving an additional 20% that keep operators from moving from corrective maintenance practices to prescriptive or planned health maintenance.

Sentient Science’s materials and data science approach helps identify the other 2% of the fleet failure rate that is missed from traditional watchlists. Sentient’s DigitalClone Platform provides each asset’s health state, remaining useful life and life extension options that allow the operator to move from preventative and unplanned maintenance practices to planned maintenance events with life extension actions that manage the progression of failure. The life extension actions enable the operator to reduce their fleet failure rates from 6% to 3% over time and incremental gain. The software identifies poor performing components and suppliers, so that the operator can develop replacement strategies that reduce risk of failure and control when and if assets fail.

Case Study:

Sentient Science helped one customer reduce the number of gearbox replacements by 50% in the first year of implementation.

The customer used DigitalClone to identify failure risks in their fleet of 1.5MW-rated turbines. The software identified current failure state and provided life extension actions to reduce risk of major replacement.

The operator extended turbine life by an average of 18 months, with the longest life extension action of 36 months, reducing cost of replacements by $2 million in the first year.

Business Value of Life Extension

    1. Reduce major component replacements from “3D” watchlist of field assets, identifying remaining useful life from 0-12 months, 1-3 years, 3-5 years and 5+ years. Switch to uptower component replacement strategy, Buy on Life capabilities – life impact + lifecycle cost – strategy…Learn More
    1. Long-term forecasting and planning for optimized inventory management, ensuring component replacement availability and reliability…Learn More
  1. Develop “Golden Bill of Materials” through strategic replacement strategies that replace poor performing components with optimal replacements for site conditions…Learn More