A Digital Platform Connecting Operators and Suppliers
Operators use DigitalClone Live to understand when failures can be expected in their fleet, which assets, systems and critical components will begin to fail and which life extension actions will provide the greatest return on investment.
for Operations & Management
- Identify the 6% fleet failures
- Incremental gain from field failures not detected by current capabilities – “Super Hits” – beyond installed CMS system.
- Based on individual turbine loading conditions, identify underperforming sub-components for action.
- Life extension options based on life and lifecycle cost for action that meets corporate business rules – long term planning and budgeting.
- Reduce fleet failure rates from 6% to 3% through sub-component replacement strategy and life extension action – control failure propagation.
for Supply Chain
- Reduce Component purchasing costs by 30% with economies of scale.
- Aggregated demand forecasts for economies of scale that lowers costs for the entire industry, making wind more competitive than other energy sources.
- Complement physical testing requirements with computational testing to reduce failure rates from 6% to 1% through understanding operational loads during design phase.
- Supplier trade off and sensitivity studies for optimal asset configuration – Accelerate new product to market schedules by 50% to 75%.
There is a lot if opportunity out there to do things better. As an operator, we do not have automated feedback on a optimized way to fly an air craft.
Digitalization allows us to make our products work better for the customer, to optimize their surfaces and to calculate how long their gearboxes and bearings can last.
The more information we have to make the right decisions from the selection of the equipment, the more the OEMs will improve the components in terms of life extension, and reliability… this is something that the entire industry would benefit from.
The industry should use the digital manufacturing data into a DigitalClone model and apply it to actual loads to predict lifetime of different components at the system level -- this will help drive down O&M costs, and optimize maintenance schedules.
“We knew our product could extend the life of gears and bearings, but we couldn't demonstrate the exact outcome. Through computational testing, DigitalClone allowed us to prove the life extension in exact years and financial numbers for our innovative surface treatment product.”
“A front-end to our physical testing process with the newest computational test technology matches with our rigorous test and validation process, always with the final aim of increasing the reliability of the turbine. Using DigitalClone is a first step in our extensive validation program. It will contribute to having a faster certification process and, finally, a more reliable turbine available in serial production in 2018.”
“We are very proud to be the first major European wind power operator to use the Sentient Science’s reputed technology in our assets. This represents a big step forward in our Turbine for Life program to obtain the maximum performance from our turbines and be ever more competitive.”
“Under current paradigm, every system is so unique that going through the qualification process is costly. Computational testing holds promise to reduce the costs, but there are still any uncertainties. Eventually, we’ll get there”
“We’re trying to help make better helicopters for the general public, and in the helicopter world, gears are very important. When the DigitalClone results came in, and the correlation was so good, the company president got very excited about what his guys had been developing.”