Mechanical Engineer – Modelica Engineer
Research & Development | Buffalo, NY or Idaho Falls, ID, United States
Required: B.S in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
Preferred: M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
Preferred: PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
Minimum 5 year experience with Bachelor degree.
Minimum 3 years experience with Master degree.
No experience required with PhD.
Sentient Science Corporation, with R&D based in Idaho Falls, Idaho, is a leader in predicting the durability and reliability of complex physical systems.
The company’s technology works by modeling and simulating components and full systems of high value aerospace, defense, industrial and renewable energy equipment. Our simulation and physics-based models enable new maintenance paradigms and lower the pre- and post-installation costs of “rotating” systems such as helicopters, unmanned aerial vehicles, and wind turbines.
Part of Sentient’s technology uses the Modelica language to build complete drive-trains of rotor-crafts. Modelica is a high-level, object-oriented, equation based programming language to conveniently model complex multi-physical systems.
We are seeking a highly motivated engineer with Modelica expertise to work on projects in the physical modeling of machinery behavior. The hire will continue the development of a 3D gear train Modelica library for multi-body dynamic (MBD) analysis of complex rotary systems. The hire will develop analysis algorithms, perform the analysis, and work on projects with other staff performing analysis. In addition to model and algorithm design, the candidate will work with the Sentient team for commercial software development and validation.
Strong writing skills will be needed for proposal and report writing. A BS in related science/engineering field is required with 5+ years of relevant experience, or a MS with 3+ years of relevant experience, or a PhD.
The staff should be familiar with the following software and programming languages: Dymola, Abaqus, & Python.
This new and incremental position will report directly to our Head of Productization. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Additionally, Sentient offers competitive benefits and a relocation package.
- Strong writing skills
- Physical modeling of complete drive-trains using Modelica;
- Defining and building new models (classes, childrens, & instances) using Modelica language for gear train library extension;
- Linear and non-linear dynamic system analysis;
- Flexible multi-body dynamic analysis;
- Modal analysis;
- Experiences in modeling dynamical behavior of the internal components of gearboxes (spur/helical, bevel, spiral bevel, worm gears, roller and ball bearings, shaft misaligments, etc).
- Experience with Abaqus, Dymola
- Experience with Python, C/C++
- Finite Element Analysis, Boundary Element Analysis
- Laboratory and experimental experience such as data acquisition
- Digital signal processing analysis
- Vibration and acoustic analysis
- Fault detection in gearboxes and rotating equipment.
Please submit you Résumé and Cover Letter to Adrijan Ribaric, Lead Scientist – Multibody Dynamics, at [email protected].