Main Bearing Technical Lead
Technical/Research Team | Buffalo, NY
Sentient Science Corporation is a leader in predicting the durability and reliability of complex rotating equipment.
The company’s technology works by modeling and simulating components and full systems within the aerospace, rail and wind energy industries. Our simulation and physics-based models enable users to optimize maintenance cycles and lower the pre and post installation costs of “rotating” systems, such as helicopters and wind turbines.
We are seeking a highly motivated person to work with our Product Development and Implementation team. This role will be working directly on our DigitalClone® software and will be exposed to utilizing best practices to achieve business goals. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Technical Point of Contact on Sentient’s wind turbine main bearing projects
- Document and assess field failures, failure modes and contribute to the understanding of main bearing failures.
- Work closely with R&D in implementing the latest failure models as applicable to main bearings.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts of main bearing life modeling and simulation process
- Define project data requirements, plan project timelines, communicate challenges.
- Participate in cross-functional teams (software, delivery) to drive development of new processes and improve the efficiency of existing processes.
- This position will work closely with program manager, R&D team, software team, functional leaders and engineers to establish work priorities and work assignments for improved program/project efficiency.
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Strong technical knowledge and hands-on experience in one or more of the technical areas of: bearing design, bearing dynamics, tribology, Rolling contact fatigue, wear.
- Expert knowledge of bearing operation and common failure modes
- Knowledge of reliability and damage accumulation processes such as Miner’s Rule
- 3+ years of relevant experience with bearing design and analysis
- Working experience with running in-house codes on server cluster
- Knowledge of wind turbine drivetrain, latest industry trends, challenges etc.
- Familiarity with Wind Turbine Operational data
- Ability to plan and implement technical projects with minimum supervision
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams and high-paced environment.
- Out of the box thinking with high motivation and energy
- Proficiency in Python, C/C++, MATLAB and finite element analysis (FEA)
- Strong presentation and report preparation skills are needed
- Create high quality technical solutions for multiple clients. Need to immediately contribute to a strong multidisciplinary technical team
- Able to travel 25%
- Experience working with wind turbine operators and OEMs
- Condition-based Maintenance (CBM-PHM) experience
- Reverse engineering background
- Familiarity with large bearing design
- Knowledge of grease lubrication in bearings
About the Company:
Sentient Science Corporation is a leader in predicting the durability and reliability of complex rotating equipment. Sentient Science’s cloud-based software, DigitalClone Live, manages the health and life extension of rotating mechanical equipment using a materials science-based approach. The technology models and simulates components and full systems within the aerospace, rail and wind energy industries. DigitalClone applies materials science and physics-based modeling techniques to simulate rotating equipment under representative operational loads and conditions. Operators optimize their maintenance cycles and lower the pre-and post-installation costs of “rotating” systems through life extension actions. Equipment manufacturers use the software for design tradeoff and sensitivity analysis and to prove their life claims to the market. Sentient Science was recognized by the White House in 2014 with the Tibbetts Award and Bloomberg New Energy Finance Pioneers Award in 2016.
Please submit your Résumés and Cover Letter to [email protected].
(We DO NOT accept résumés from third party recruitment agencies)